Great Divide Volunteer Ski Patrol
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be a current member of National Ski Patrol
- Outdoor Emergency Care (first aid training) (requires 80 hour course taught over 10 weeks in Sept. through Nov. and annual refresher)
- Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (annually – health care provider CPR)
- Duty schedule approved by area management
- Mountain Operations review annually
- For alpine patrollers: Toboggan qualification annually and maintain appropriate ski or snowboard and toboggan skills
A ski patroller is expected to patrol at least 14 days a season.
For those who cannot or do not desire to meet the on snow skills requirements, auxiliary positions may also be available.
Beyond training and duty day requirements, patrolling involves other time commitments as well. Regular patrol meetings are held from September through April that requires an evening ‘s time. The patrol has fundraising events from time-to-time in which each member is expected to participate.
In addition to time commitments, there are monetary commitments. A person taking the OEC course will have to pay an enrollment fee, plus books and supplies (approximately $105 payable on enrollment). The CPR course is an additional $25. Patrol membership dues are $58. Once on the patrol, a patrol jacket and a first aid belt must be purchased — the price varies depending on personal choice, but expect around $175 or more.
Ski patrolling is not for everyone… It demands a high level of personal commitment and a great deal of time. Ski patrollers provide a great service to our community. Patrolling gives ski patrollers the opportunity to help others and experience “esprit de corps” and expand a person’s snowsports experience in a meaningful way.
If this is for you, contact us.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer ski patroller or learning more about the program, please call 406.449.3746, send us an email or stop by our service desk with the following information: Your Name, Mailing address, email, telephone number, and mention your interest in patrolling.